Gillingham Football Club was established as New Brompton FC in 1893 and has played it's matches on the same site - the Mems Priestfield Stadium - ever since. The club changed it's name to Gillingham in 1912, and is therefore celebrating 100 years as The Gills this season.
Paul Scally took over as chairman in 1995 and set about the massive task of rebuilding the stadium, with three new stands and impressive conference and banqueting facilities which are the envy of clubs throughout the Football League.
The tragic death of Mr Scally's baby son Elliott from complicated heart conditions lead to the founding of the Elliott Scally Trust Fund, whose aims were support the Demelza Children's Hospice in Kent, where Elliott spent his last few days, and the Mercy Mission project in Sri Lanka run by the medical team from the Evelina Children's Hospital, in London.
Take Heart Mercy Mission is the football clubs official charity.